Rommegrot--Norwegian Christmas Pudding
MAKE IT SHINE! ADD YOUR PHOTO
- 2 pints sour cream, preferably the richest (with the highest butterfat) you can find
- 11 -12 tablespoons all-purpose flour (to thicken)
- 2 -3 cups milk, hot
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt (or to taste)
- 1 teaspoon sugar (or to taste)
- to taste butter, melted (as a garnish)
- to taste sugar (as a garnish)
- to taste ground cinnamon (as a garnish)
- Garnishes: melted butter sugar ground cinnamon Place the sour cream in a heavy-bottomed saucepan and bring to a simmer over medium heat, stirring constantly.
- Turn down heat and allow to barely simmer for 1 hour, uncovered, to reduce slightly.
- It must not boil.
- Use a heat diffuser for this process.
- Using a flour sifter or strainer, slowly add enough flour to thicken the cream.
- I use about 11-12 Tbsp. for a very thick pudding.
- Using a wire whisk, whip in the flour 1 Tbsp. at a time.
- The cream will thicken and start to pull away from the sides of the pan.
- If the sour cream is very rich, the butter will now begin to form and rise tot he top.
- Remove this with a spoon and set it aside. Stir in enough hot milk to obtain a porridge-like consistency.
- Add sugar and salt to taste. Serve in bowls with melted butter, sugar, and cinnamon on top.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
JOIN THE CONVERSATION