Romantic Garlic Tomato Sauce
photo by Monica R.
- Ready In:
- 1hr 40mins
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 6 garlic cloves (minced)
- 2 teaspoons chili flakes
- 1 (28 ounce) can crushed tomatoes
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 1⁄4 cup fresh basil (chopped)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Add olive oil, minced garlic cloves, and chili flakes to a cold frying pan.
- Heat to medium/high. Do NOT brown the garlic!
- As soon as the aroma of the garlic and chili flakes begins to escape, add the canned tomatoes, salt and 1/2 the basil.
- Bring to a boil.
- Add water.
- Lower heat and simmer for at least 1 hour.
- Reduce sauce by half.
- When ready to serve, garnish each plate with leftover fresh basil.
- Serve over your favourite pasta shape.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
GREAT TASTING SAUCE, & just the thing for my son & his wife who are wanna be vegetarians! Made up a double batch &, after tasting it for myself, sent it home with them! Almost reduced the amount of chili flakes, but am glad that I didn't ~ The taste was just right! [Made & reviewed for one of my adoptees for this Spring's Pick-A-Chef]
I made this for DH and it met with an ok response. I used piri piri in the absence of chili flakes and that did pack a punch so he wasn't complaining there, he just said that other recipes I have tried tasted even better, so I think that it's a case of we are spoiled by Zaar and getting rather choosey. The good news it that DH said he wouldn't mind to have this again. And from the Pasta Fanatic that's not bad going. Please see my rating system: This one gets a lovely 4 stars. Thanks!
see 7 more reviews