Romanian Pork and Lamb Sausages (Mititei)
- Ready In:
- 2hrs 23mins
- 12 ounces ground pork (or beef)
- 12 ounces ground lamb shoulder
- 1 small onion, minced as finely as possible
- 2 garlic cloves, minced as finely as possible
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt (or more to taste)
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon paprika (hot or sweet)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried marjoram
- 1⁄2 teaspoon caraway seed
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper (or more to taste)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1 pinch ground cloves (a TINY pinch)
- Combine all ingredients in a large bowl.
- Knead and squeeze with your hands until thoroughly blended, 3-4 minutes.
- To test for seasoning, take a small amount of the mixture and saute it in a nonstick skillet until cooked through, then taste and adjust seasonings. NEVER eat raw pork.
- Lightly oil a large plate.
- Divide meat mixture into 8 equal portions.
- Lightly wet your hands with cold water.
- Roll each portion into a sausage about 3" long and 1" in diameter.
- Place sausages on oiled plate as they are made.
- Cover loosely with plastic wrap and chill 2-4 hours.
- Preheat grill to high.
- Oil the grill grate.
- Arrange sausages on grill.
- Cook, turning with a spatula, until cooked through and nicely browned, 6-8 minutes.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!