Roberto Martin's Vegan Red Beans and Rice
- Ready In:
- 2 cups white basmati rice or 2 cups use brown rice
- 3 cups water
- 2 (15 ounce) cans kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 2 sausage, high vegan quality (like apple sage)
- 2 sausage, high vegan quality (like Italian)
- 1 tablespoon grapeseed oil (or safflower oil)
- 1 large white onion, medium dice
- 6 stalks celery, 6-inch in length, small dice
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 red bell pepper, cored, seeded and diced
- kosher salt
- black pepper, freshly ground
- 1⁄2 cup scallion, thinly sliced
- Rinse rice thoroughly.
- Place rice in a large pot with a tightly fitting lid with 3 cups of water.
- Bring to a boil, reduce heat to low, and allow to simmer for about 20 minutes covered. Or until all water has been absorbed.
- Removed pot from heat and keep covered until needed.
- In a blender, put 1/2 kidney beans and 4 cups vegetable broth and blend until smooth. Add remaining beans to mixture, do not blend. Set puree aside.
- Heat a 4-5 qt stew pot over high heat, add oil, wait until it simmers.
- Add onion and celery and cook, stirring with a wooden spoon until translucent, about 10 minutes.
- Add garlic, cook another 2 minutes.
- Add vegan sausage, chili powder, thyme, bean puree and bell pepper; bring again to a simmer and cook for 10-15 minutes stirring frequently.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- serve the red beans over rice and garnish with sliced scallions.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
I joined Food.com when the site was RecipeZaar, April 24, 2001. This site has been a favorite with me for many years now with its unique features and especially for the many, many dear friends I have met here. If you are a new visitor, I hope you will stop for a while and check us out. I hope you will find it as special as I have.