Roasted Vegetables With Lemon and Garlic (Briam)
photo by katia
- Ready In:
- 2hrs 20mins
- 2 lbs tomatoes, peeled and chopped (I think canned diced tomatoes would work)
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 lb potato, peeled and sliced into rounds
- 1 lb zucchini, peeled and sliced into rounds
- 1 lb eggplant, peeled and sliced into rounds (globe or Japanese)
- 1 cup onion, sliced
- 2 fresh garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 sweet red pepper, sliced
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley, chopped
- 1⁄2 - 1 1⁄2 cup olive oil (recipe calls for 1 1/2 cups!!!)
- 1 lemon, juice of
- Preheat oven to 250°F (it says 2500!, I think it was a typo).
- Spread half of the tomatoes in an oiled roasting pan.
- Lightly salt and pepper the tomatoes in the pan; spread the potatoes, zucchini, eggplant, onions and red pepper over them. Add a little more salt and pepper.
- Mix the garlic and parsley together and sprinkle over the vegetables.
- Top with remaining tomatoes.
- Pour oil over the top to coat and sprinkle with lemon juice.
- Bake for 1 1/2- 2 hours, adding a little water if necessary.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
This was great - and it did work with tinned tomatoes (fresh ones here are out of season & taste gross). I used a bit more red pepper and a bit less zucchini but it didn't matter. It smelled heavenly when cooking. I did cut back on the olive oil but I don't think that mattered, and I did add more garlic (but that's because we're garlic fiends). Made for ZWT4
Another one of those recipes that I was a little hesitant about, but plowed ahead with it anyway, & surprise, surprise I really liked it! I did take note of suggestions made by 'the chef' as well as some reviewers, & I used another tablespoon of minced garlic, used the juice [& zest] from 2 smallish lemons, & probably didn't use even 1/2 cup of olive oil [went by looks alone!]. Oh, yes, & I decreased the amount of eggplant while increasing the potatoes & zucchini! Anyway, like I said, the result, for me, was very satisfying! Thanks for the recipe post!
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
I'm not as active here anymore, but you can find me playing at the new recipezazz.com. I'm not a great photographer, but I love to take food photos with Freddy Cat to bring a smile to people's day. I love to cook and share good food with other people. I have a very large collection of cookbooks. I used to enjoy being able to look up recipes on Zaar by ingredients I had on hand. I miss the Zaar tag game community. Everyone was so nice, and it was super fun. Ah, the good ol' days.