Roasted Vegetable and Mozzarella Panini
From Self.com, "David Burke, of David Burke at Bloomingdale's in New York City, created this savory sandwich that's simple to make and a money saver, too." Instead of using skillets (steps 6 and 7) I used my George Forman grill - worked like a charm! I'm sure you could use a panini press as well!
- Ready In:
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon black pepper
- vegetable oil cooking spray
- 1 medium eggplant, cut lengthwise into 8 slices (1/4 inch each)
- 1 medium zucchini, cut into 8 slices (1/4 inch each)
- 1 red bell pepper, cored, seeded and quartered
- 8 slices ciabatta
- 1 cup reduced-fat mozzarella cheese, shredded
- 8 large fresh basil leaves
- Whisk vinegar, oil, salt and pepper in a bowl.
- Coat a baking sheet with cooking spray; place vegetables in 1 layer on sheet.
- Brush both sides of eggplant and zucchini with vinegar mixture. Spray all vegetables with cooking spray and place under broiler, 7 to 8 minutes, turning once and coating with cooking spray.
- Lightly brush 4 bottom slices of ciabatta with remaining vinegar mixture; pile veggies, cheese and basil on each of the slices.
- Close sandwiches; spray both sides with cooking spray.
- Heat a medium nonstick skillet over medium-high heat; add sandwiches. Place a second skillet on top of sandwiches and press down.
- Cook 4 minutes, flipping once.