Roasted Tomato Soup With Fresh Basil
photo by CountryLady
- Ready In:
- 1hr 30mins
- 8 -10 large roma tomatoes
- 3 unpeeled garlic cloves
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 stalk celery, sliced
- 1 large carrot, sliced
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1⁄4 cup arborio rice
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground pepper
- 1⁄2 cup fresh basil
- 1⁄2 cup whipping cream or 1/2 cup sour cream
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Core tomatoes; slice in half lengthwise and place cut side up on large baking sheet that has sides.
- Place unpeeled garlic cloves in centre area of pan.
- Drizzle with 1 tbsp of olive oil and roast uncovered, for 45 minutes or til lightly brown and very soft.
- Meanwhile, heat remaining olive oil in large saucepan on medium heat. Add onion, celery and carrot.
- Cook stirring often for about 5 minutes or til softened.
- Pour stock in and the rice.
- Bring to a boil, stirring often, cover and reduce heat so mixture simmers for 25 minutes or til rice is very soft.
- Add tomatoes and garlic squeezed from peels into stock; simmer 10-15 minutes.
- Puree in batches in food processor or blender.
- Sieve soup, discarding solids. Stir in sugar, salt and pepper. Stir in basil, taste and more seasonings as needed. Reheat. Serve
- with a swirl whipping cream or sour cream and a grinding of pepper.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
I actually made this from the recipe in the magazine ....... its a good thing I checked before posting the recipe! I did make some very minor changes: I used our garden Juliette tomatoes from my freezer, omitted the sugar & skipped the straining step as I'm lazy & prefer a more rustic soup for family dining. The soup was healthy, hearty & tasty. Since I made it the day before it was consumed & the rice thickened the soup too much, I added about another cup of broth before serving. Thanx LCBO & Mary!