Roasted Salted Sunflower Seed
photo by Svirta
- Ready In:
- 1hr 30mins
- Place water and salt in a saucepan.
- Rinse sunflower seeds and remove any plant or flower head matter.
- Add sunflower seeds to water& salt in pan.
- Bring water to a boil, then turn down to simmer.
- Simmer 1 to 1 1/2 hours.
- When done, strain water& seeds through collander& allow seeds to dry on paper toweling.
- Do not rinse.
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
- Spread seeds on a cookie sheet& bake for 25 to 30 minutes.
- Stir frequently.
- Remove from oven when seeds are slightly browned& fragrant.
- NOTE: for salt free seeds, simply eliminate the first 7 steps& go straight into oven preparation (Step 8).
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
This was the first time at roasting sunflower seeds. I've loved them ever since I was a kid and wanted to try roasting my own. This method worked perfectly! Boiled them for a full 1 1/2 hours. I used 2 cups of seeds instead of the 1 cup that was called for in the recipe. I used a large shallow casserole pan which easily held the whole batch. I stirred them at 10 minutes and at 20 minutes, then stirred them every 5 minutes until they were a perfect light golden brown. They were salted just right, not oily whatsoever, and super flavorful!
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
<p>September 15, 2007: Here's a photo of me and my two girls before leaving our hotel room to go to an Avett Brothers concert. We're all huge fans of the group. We're also huge fans of each other. It's fun to have adult children. <br /> <br /> <br />--- About me: I'm an artist, and art teacher to kids kindergarten age through 8th grade. My life whirls at a breakneck pace. I teach approximately 800 students, and have 30 different classes each week. It's crazy!!! The rewards, however, are the numerous hugs and good vibes I get from my students. If I didn't have my good-looking husband to stabilize me, I'd surely be sporting a straight-jacket. Oh, and did I mention my yarn obsession? I've made hundreds of crochet items in the past few months, and have a little shop on etsy. Check out my website when you have the time:</p> 8754768"