Roasted Red Pepper and Mushroom Tapenade
- Ready In:
- 1 large sweet red pepper, seeded and quartered
- 8 ounces fresh mushrooms, halved
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1 medium onion, unpeeled and halved
- 2 large garlic cloves, peeled and minced
- 1⁄2 cup stuffed green olive
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh basil or 2 tablespoons parsley
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 pinch cayenne pepper
- 2 (8 inch) round whole wheat pita bread, cut into triangles
- In a mixing bowl, toss red pepper pieces and mushrooms in 1 tablespoon of olive oil, coating well.
- Place red peppers, mushrooms and onion on a baking sheet with cut sides down.
- Broil on HIGH on middle rack for 20 minutes or until skins are blackened.
- Remove from oven and let cool for 5 minutes.
- Peel red pepper and onion, discarding skins.
- Cut red pepper and onion into chunks.
- Place roasted vegetables, garlic, olives, vinegar and remaining 1 tablespoon of olive oil into a food processor and process until finely chopped BUT NOT PUREE'D.
- Transfer mixture to a bowl and stir in basil, salt, black pepper and cayenne pepper; mix well to blend.
- Cover and chill in refrigerator until ready to serve on pita triangles or crackers.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
This is a good tapenade, and quite healthy to boot! I think I prefer olive tapenade, although it's not really fair to compare the two. I served this over very lightly toated baguette, then topped with a small piece of feta...back in the oven it went to warm it and toast the bread the rest of the way. Thanks, Uncle Bill!
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
I live in Burnaby, British Columbia. I am retired and have written a cookbook entitled, From Uncle Bill's Kitchen. I am a recipe developer, author, publisher, distributor and a chef. My cookbook is very unique as I have a Nutrient Analysis for each ingredient used in each recipe that shows you the values for Calories, Fat, Cholesterol and Sodium. A high-lighted bar shows the values on a per serving basis plus the Fat/Cal%. From Uncle Bill's Kitchen contains tried-and-true, tested, easy to follow reipes for both novice and experienced cooks. You'll find old Russian, Ukrainian, and other ethnic favorites, along with modern West Coast dishes. The Nutrient Analysis will please the health conscious. Uncle Bill's favorite recipes will reward efforts of the most creative cook and provide the family with many tantalizing, healthful meals. I have appeared on 48 various Television Shows in Vancouver, Burnaby, Kelowna and Kamploops, B.C. Canada, as well as in Palm Springs, CA. In Palm Springs, CA, I have been a Guest on the JACKIE OLDEN RADIO SHOW and THE JOEY ENGLISH RADIO SHOW, twice a year since 1998. I also do demo cooking shows at CHAPTERS BOOK STORES, SAVE-ON-FOOD STORES, GALLOWAY'S FOODS, WESTMINSTER PUBLIC QUAY MARKET, and in the U.S. at BARNES & NOBLE BOOKSTORES in Palm Springs, CA, Phoenix and Yuma, AZ. I was in Palm Springs, CA from June 10th to July 14th. 2002 and again appeared twice on the Jackie Olden Show, twice on the Joey English Show and pre-taped a TV COOKING SHOW with Jackie Olden that is aired on TV from Palm Springs, CA to Los Angeles, CA.