Roasted Red Onions - Jamie Oliver
- Ready In:
- 6 red onions
- fresh thyme
- kosher salt
- 6 tablespoons butter, softened
- Try to get 6 equal-sized medium or large red onions. Peel away the outermost layer of onionskin. Carefully slice off the core end of each onion to create a flat base. Make two cuts at right angles through the top of the onion, cutting only halfway through.
- Push some chopped fresh thyme and kosher salt down into the cuts, along with a tablespoon of soft butter for each onion.
- Cook in an earthenware dish, or in a roasting pan on a layer of kosher salt or sea salt. Place in a preheated 400F oven for 30-35 minute.
- You can also tuck the onions into the roasting pan with your chicken or lamb as it roasts.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
I'm a 48 y/o gay Jewish man in the suburbs immediately north of New York City. I'm a general internist, practicing and teaching at a medical college north of NYC. I also earned a Masters in Public Health degree in 2013. After a Walt Disney World trip in Dec 2006 where I had to rent an electric scooter because I couldn't manage the walking, I decided to have gastric bypass surgery, which was done Feb 28, 2007. I lost 160 lbs (though I've gained back about 60 of that since). I can't eat as much as I used to, so I want every bite to be extra good!