Roasted Pineapple With Rum-Vanilla Sauce and Coconut
This is an easy dessert, but also fancy enough to serve guests. I love these flavor combinations! Recipe courtesy of Tyler Florence. He serves this with rum raisin ice cream. *There is a note at the end of the directions that tells you how to toast coconut.
- Ready In:
- 1hr 15mins
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 1⁄2 cups hot water
- 1⁄2 cup white rum
- 1⁄2 vanilla bean, scraped
- 1 pineapple
- 1⁄2 cup shredded coconut, toasted
- 1 pint rum raisin ice cream
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
- In a saucepan, stir together the sugar, corn starch and salt. Add the hot water slowly, whisking constantly. Put the pot over high heat and bring to a simmer while continuing to whisk. Turn off the heat once the sauce has thickened - about 3 to 5 minutes. Add the rum and the vanilla scrapings and stir to combine.
- Cut the top and bottom off the pineapple. Stand the pineapple up and slice off the rind from top to bottom. Then cut it into thirds, lengthwise. Cut the wedges in half, the short way, so you have 6 thick chunks. Remove the cores.
- Put the pineapple wedges onto a nonstick cookie sheet and ladle them with half of the rum sauce. Bake for 30 minutes, then switch the oven to broil and cook until the pineapple is caramelized - about 10 to 15 minutes. Watch carefully to make sure it doesn't burn.
- Serve a hunk of pineapple covered in the remaining rum sauce, toasted coconut and 2 scoops of ice cream. Enjoy!
- *Note- to toast coconut: Preheat oven to 350 F and spread coconut on a cookie sheet and bake for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally. Watch it to make sure it doesn't burn.