Roasted Garlic Twice-Baked Cheesy Potatoes
photo by AcadiaTwo
- Ready In:
- 1hr 50mins
- 4 large potatoes
- 1 head garlic
- 5 teaspoons olive oil
- 1⁄2 cup sour cream
- 4 ounces processed cheese, cubed (like Velveeta)
- pepper, to taste
- 4 slices bacon or 4 slices vegetarian bacon, cooked and crumbled
- 2 green onions, chopped
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Place each potato and head of garlic onto its own piece of foil, which should be large enough to fully wrap around the potato or garlic.
- Prick the potatoes several times one each side with a fork. Cut off the top of the garlic to expose the top of the cloves.
- Drizzle each potato and the heads of garlic with olive oil.
- Move to oven and bake for an hour. (I usually place them on a cookie sheet to prevent any oil from dripping and to make it easier to put in and out at once).
- Remove the potatoes and garlic from the oven and reduce heat to 350°F.
- Unwrap each potato and halve the short way (so they look like little cups, as opposed to a long "boat"). Cut off a small bit on each of the smaller, round ends so that they will sit up straight. Gently scoop out the potato flesh, leaving a thin edge all the way around the cup. Avoid breaking the potato skin.
- Mash the potato flesh in a medium bowl. Add sour cream, processed cheese (reserve 8 small cubes), and pepper, and beat until fluffy.
- Stuff mixture into the cups - it will be quite full, so mound on top as needed.
- Return to oven and bake for an additional 25 minutes, until heated through and cheese has melted.
- Top each potato half with a remaining piece of cheese and return for an additional 5 minutes, or until the cheese on top has melted.
- Garnish the potatoes with bacon and green onions before serving.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Due to the jumbo sized potatoes I had, it was impossible for me to cut the potatoes in the manner described in the recipe. The combination of flavors were delicious! I used sliced velveeta rather than the chunk form and a few pieces of vegetarian bacon on my potato. The rest of the family agreed that they wanted real bacon, so they had jarred bacon pieces. Made for Veg 'n Swap 2/2012 tag.
When making this recipe, I cut it in half since there were 4 of us with plenty of other food & that worked just fine & the resulting potatoes were absolutely great! ~ Love that garlic & I was also generous with the use of bacon bits! Thanks for sharing a great recipe! [Made & reviewed for my chosen partner in the Vegetarian/Vegan Recipe Swap 22]
Wow is this a great recipe. The sour cream and roasted garlic come through quite nicely. I used grated parmesan cheese (on hand) and since I did not have any bacon, I sprinkled a bit of paprika on the tops before the 2nd bake. If you love garlic, this recipe is for you! Thanks for a keeper recipe. :)