Roasted Garlic Gravy
Garlic lovers unite! Roasting a whole head of garlic gives this sauce a gourmet (yet surprisingly mellow) flavor. Serve over Chickpea-Veggie Loaf and/or baked potatoes. From the vegan restaurant "It's Only Natural" in Middleton, CT.
- Ready In:
- 1hr 2mins
- 1 head garlic (medium-to-large-sized)
- 6 tablespoons whole wheat pastry flour
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 2 cups water or 2 cups vegetable broth
- 4 -6 teaspoons soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme leaves, crumbled
- 1 teaspoon dried marjoram
- In a small oven-safe dish, place the garlic and pour on about 1 cm. of water. Put it in the oven or a toaster oven at 350 until the outside is brown and the innermost cloves are soft,25-30 minute Check after 20 minutes to see if you need to add a little more water- it dries up easily!
- Allow the roasted garlic to cool. Ten slice off the top and squeeze the soft cloves from the skin into a small bowl. Mash the garlic with a fork and set aside.
- Toast the flour in a medium-sized pot, over medium heat, stirring constantly, until fragrant but NOT browned. Vigorously stir in the oil, then the garlic, with a wire whisk and cook for a couple of minutes on low heat, stirring often.
- Stir or whisk in the liquid, soy sauce and herbs, stirring till fairly smooth (There'll probably still be chunks of garlic!) Simmer the gravy for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally. Serve hot.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
RECIPE MADE WITH LOVE BY
JOIN THE CONVERSATION
This was awesome!!! I had my family turn up just as I was dishing out so you had 4 extra people trying this one and all I got was wonderful, yum, this would make a good soup, a little strong for a soup I think, although they were tasting it like it was. The garlic flavour is just wonderful. I made it with vegetable broth and I think this adds to the flavour of the garlic. I served this over creamy polenta topped with mushrooms, tomatoes and herbs it was the most outstanding recipe with the addition on this gravy. A definite winner and a big thumbs up by 8 people so please try to anyone reading this it will not let you down.Reply
i made this to compliment a veggie meatless loaf i made for christmas lunch. this was pretty good, considering it had no animal drippings (i used to make a mean gravy to go with a roast leg of lamb, back when i was omni, so i know the whole gravy business). i think the roast garlic made a big difference. even my omni family thought it was pretty good. i give this 5 stars, even though i burnt the garlic =)Reply
see 1 more