Roasted Carrot Ginger Soup
This is a recipe from the Simply Delicious column in Parade Magazine (2006). For optional garnishes, try a 1/4 cup of creme fraiche and/or snipped fresh chives.
- Ready In:
- 3hrs 40mins
- 1 1⁄2 lbs carrots, peeled & halved lengthwise
- 1 lb parsnip, peeled & quartered lengthwise
- 1 large onion, sliced
- 3 inches piece fresh ginger, peeled & chopped
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 3 tablespoons dark brown sugar (packed)
- 8 cups rich chicken broth (more, if necessary)
- salt, to taste
- 1 pinch cayenne pepper
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Combine carrots, parsnips, onion & ginger in a shallow roasting pan to fit. Dot with the butter and sprinkle with the brown sugar.
- Pour 2 cups of chicken broth into the pan, cover well & bake until vegetables are very tender (approx. 2 hours).
- Transfer the vegetables and broth to a large pot.
- Add the remaining 6 cups of chicken broth, the salt & cayenne pepper.
- Bring to a boil, reduce the heat and simmer, partially covered, for 10 minutes.
- Puree the soup in batches in a blender or food processor, adding more broth if necessary. Return the soup to the pot.
- Adjust the seasonings and heat through.
- Serve each portion dolloped with a teaspoon of creme fraiche and/or chopped chives (OPTIONAL).
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
JOIN THE CONVERSATION