Roasted Butternut Squash With Pecan Ginger Glaze
photo by 2001193525
- Ready In:
- 1 cup pecan halves, divided
- 1⁄4 cup granulated sugar
- 3 teaspoons kosher salt, divided
- 2 teaspoons dry ginger
- 6 lbs butternut squash, fully peeled, seeded and cut into 1-inch cubes
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1⁄3 cup honey
- 1⁄3 cup maple syrup
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1⁄2 teaspoon orange zest
- 1⁄4 cup orange juice
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons grated fresh ginger
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Line 2 rimmed baking sheets with aluminum foil. Spread pecans onto one of the baking sheets. Bake in oven for 5 minutes or until they are lightly toasted and aromatic. Remove nuts from baking sheet and set aside.
- Combine sugar, 2 teaspoons salt and dry ginger in a large bowl. Add squash pieces and toss to coat evenly. Drizzle with olive oil and stir to combine. Transfer 1/2 of mixture to each of the prepared pans, spreading the squash so that the pieces are not touching. Bake for 30 minutes (rotate the pans in the oven after 15 minutes) or until the squash has begun to brown and is tender when pierced with the tip of a knife.
- Meanwhile, combine honey, maple syrup, cinnamon stick, orange zest and juice, 1 teaspoons salt, vinegar and fresh ginger in a small saucepan. Bring to a boil over medium high heat. Reduce heat to medium and maintain a low boil until the mixture has reduced and become syrupy. Coarsely chop 1/2 cup of the toasted pecans, add them and the remaining pecan halves to the honey mixture.
- To serve, transfer cooked squash to a large bowl and toss with the honey pecan mixture. Serve immediately.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!