Roasted Brussels Sprouts With Apple and Pancetta
photo by KateL
- Ready In:
- 12 ounces Brussels sprouts (trimmed and halved or quartered)
- 2 sweet cooking apples, cored and cut into wedges (such as Gala or Fuji)
- 1 cup thinly sliced red onion
- 3 ounces finely chopped pancetta or 3 ounces cooked ham
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon mustard seeds
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 2 teaspoons dijon-style mustard
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.
- Line a 15x10x1-inch baking pan with foil; set aside. In a large bowl combine Brussels sprouts, apples, onion, pancetta, oil, salt, mustard seeds, and pepper. Transfer mixture to the prepared baking pan.
- Roast, uncovered, for 25 to 30 minutes or until sprouts are tender, stirring once.
- In a small bowl whisk together vinegar, honey, and Dijon mustard. Drizzle vinegar mixture over sprout mixture; toss gently to coat.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
What a sumptuous side dish, perfect for holiday dinners! At our dinner table there were some odd remarks: from a Brussels sprouts lover, "the Brussels sprouts didn't stand out", and from a Brussels sprouts avoider, "this was good, but I wouldn't call this a Brussels sprouts dish because so much was going on." The rest of us just loved the recipe because it tasted so good! I loved how easy this was, too. Made for Best of 2013 tag game.
I made this with only 2 changes based on what I had available. Used bacon and a sweet white onion. The rest I followed and what an awesome recipe. The blend of spices brings out the perfect mix of smoky bacon, tart vinegar and sweet. I used a very good balsamic vinegar and glad I did. There was only DH and me and between us we ate the entire batch and enjoyed every bite of it. Served with grilled pork chops and baked potato and a glass of Washington's best red wine. Very pleasant meal, simple and fast - I'll be using this one a lot
One of our friends, who doesn't like brussels sprouts, asked for seconds! You really must try these. Perfect for an elegant dinner party but easy enough for a busy weeknight meal. But they were pleasantly surprised to me. Sered with recipe#511084 . Take that as all thumbs up. Awesome recipe! Thank You! PRMR 2013 Grpa