Roasted Beets N' Sweets
- Ready In:
- 1hr 30mins
- 6 medium beets, peeled and cut into 1-inch chunks
- 2 1⁄2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 3 medium sweet potatoes, cut into 1-inch chunks
- 1 large sweet onion, chopped coarsely
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C).
- In a bowl, toss the beets with 1/2 tablespoon olive oil to coat. Spread in a single layer on a baking sheet.
- Mix the remaining 2 tablespoons olive oil, garlic powder, salt, pepper, and sugar in a large resealable plastic bag. Place the sweet potatoes and onion in the bag. Seal bag, and shake to coat vegetables with the oil mixture.
- Bake beets 30 minutes in the preheated oven. Mix sweet potato mixture with the beets on the baking sheet. Continue baking 45 minutes, stirring after 20 minutes, until all vegetables are tender.
Join The Conversation
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
I'm a 48 y/o gay Jewish man in the suburbs immediately north of New York City. I'm a general internist, practicing and teaching at a medical college north of NYC. I also earned a Masters in Public Health degree in 2013. After a Walt Disney World trip in Dec 2006 where I had to rent an electric scooter because I couldn't manage the walking, I decided to have gastric bypass surgery, which was done Feb 28, 2007. I lost 160 lbs (though I've gained back about 60 of that since). I can't eat as much as I used to, so I want every bite to be extra good!