Roast Spiced Pork Belly With Apple Sauce
- Ready In:
- 1hr 15mins
Spiced Pork Belly
- 3 1⁄4 kg pork belly (bones removed and scored)
- 1 cup table salt
- 1 tablespoon fennel seed (ground)
- 1 teaspoon five-spice powder
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- grapeseed oil (for rubbing)
- sea salt
- 6 granny smith apples (peeled cored and sliced)
- 100 g caster sugar
- 75 g rice wine vinegar
- 1⁄2 lemon (juice of)
- Mix the salt and spices together and rub it all over the pork and let is cure for 3 to 4 hours and then wash the pork belly well and dry with paper towels and place in the fridge uncovered for at least 6 to 8 hours or overnight.
- Preheat the oven to 250°C.
- rub the skin of the pork with some oil and salt and then place the pork on a roasting tray skin side up and cook for 15 minutes.
- Lower the temperature of the oven to 150C and cook for 45 to 50 minutes to get great crackling pork belly can be finished under the grill/broiler.
- Remove the pork belly and rest for 15 minutes and then slice pork belly thinly and serve with apple sauce.
- APPLE SAUCE - Place the sugar and vinegar in a medium size saucepan and bring to the boil and then add the apples and cook until tender and then puree and add the lemon juice and set aside to cool.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
With the demise of the forums and with no more interaction on site with what was a great community and it was a pleasure to get to know so many of you over the years and to have had the privilege of meeting some of you in person. For me now this is just another recipe site like to many on the net, it has lost its specialness, such a pity especially when Scripps changed the name from Recipezaar to Food.com and made this statement sorry cannot replicate here as considered invalid but they basically said yes the community was valuable hence .com was short for community but it was a pack of lies as they were not willing to put the money into that community and got rid of the forums which was the community so for .com has become .crap.