Roast Leg of Lamb - Aussie Style.
Lamb is very popular here, there used to be an ad about Tom Cruise and a Roast Leg of Lamb when I was a child, the roast lamb won. This is my favourite way of making and eating roast lamb. I usually cook a 2 kilo leg due to our family of 6.
- Ready In:
- 4hrs 45mins
- 1 leg of lamb (at least 1 kilo and upto 2.5 kilos)
- 3 cloves fresh garlic
- 4 sprigs fresh rosemary
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon freshly cracked black pepper
- Pre-heat your oven as high as it will go while you prepare the lamb.
- Rub the oil all over the leg - top and bottom in a good sized baking tray.
- Cut each garlic clove into 6ths. Use a paring knife, cut small incisions all ove the lamb and carefully push a garlic into each hole.
- Remove the rosemary from the sprigs and sprinkle all over the lamb. Finally sprinkle the salt on top.
- Place into your hot oven and turn down to 220oC for 30 minutes.
- Turn the heat down and bake at 160oC for 4 hours. If you choose to add veggies, do it during hour 2 - that gives them 2 hours to cook. Carefully pour the lamb fat over your veggies to make them crispy and taste amazing.
- Strain the fat and juices off. Reserve the pan juices (not the fat) to make lamb gravy.
- Serve roast lamb with roast veggies, gravy, mint sauce and a slice of bread with butter (to mop it all up with).
- Veggies to add in hour 2: little onions, carrots, potatoes, sweet potato, pumpkin and parsnip.