Roast Chicken With Rice and Wheat Bread Stuffing
- Ready In:
- 3hrs 10mins
- 5 lbs chicken, whole
- 1 white onion, medium
- 8 ounces baby carrots
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cup rice
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- 12 ounces bread, whole wheat
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 teaspoons sage
- 1⁄2 tablespoon tarragon
- 1⁄4 cup walnuts, chopped
- 1 cup chicken broth
- In medium sauce pan bring 2 cups of chicken broth and 1/4 cup butter to boil. Add 1 cup uncooked rice. Cover and reduce to simmer, stirring occasionally.
- Finely dice onion and carrots. In medium skillet heat 3 tbs olive oil over medium low heat. Add carrots and onion with a dash of salt. Sweat vegetables till onions are soft and opaque.
- Remove crusts from 12 oz whole wheat bread. Cut bread up into small squares. Lay on cookie sheet and toast in oven at 200 degrees F.
- Remove bread from oven when well toasted but not burnt. In Large mixing bowel, roughly crumble bread. (Doesn't have to be fine bread crumbs.) Combine with cooked rice, salt, paprika, pepper, sage, tarragon, carrots, onions and walnuts. Add 1 cup chicken broth to soften stuffing.
- Stuff your 5lb roasting hen with stuffing. Tie legs together with kitchen string. Put in a large enough roasting pan so grease won't spill out as bird cooks.
- Sprinkle outside of bird with a little salt, pepper, sage, paprika and tarragon.
- Cover with foil and roast in oven at 350 degrees F for 2 1/2 to 3 hrs or until juices run clear at leg, thigh joint. Uncover in the last 30 to 40 minutes of roasting to allow skin to get crispy.
- Allow bird to rest 15 minutes before carving.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!