Ripe Tomato Chutney
- Ready In:
- 1hr 30mins
4 1/2 pint jars
- 4 cups tomatoes, coarsely chopped
- 2 medium bell peppers, diced
- 2 medium apples or 2 medium pears, peeled and diced
- 1 jalapeno pepper, diced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons fresh gingerroot, minced
- 1 cup raisins or 1 cup dried cranberries
- 1⁄2 cup cider or 1/2 cup red wine vinegar
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 1⁄4 cup brown sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cumin
- 1⁄4 teaspoon allspice
- Place all ingredients in a heavy saucepan over medium heat. Stir until the mixture boils, then reduce heat to low. Simmer for 45 minutes to one hour, until the chutney is thick. Stir often to prevent sticking, especially as the chutney thickens.
- Spoon into hot sterilized jars, leaving 1/2" headspace. Process jars in a boiling water canner for 10 minutes.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!