Rich Sourdough Chocolate Brownies
MAKE IT SHINE! ADD YOUR PHOTO
A rich brownie recipe using sourdough starter. Not for the faint of heart with lots of butter, sugar and eggs! From Charles Wilford's book "Adventures in Sourdough Cooking & Baking". Makes a large pan of brownies.
- Ready In:
- 1hr 45mins
- 1 1⁄2 cups proofed sourdough starter
- 4 ounces sweet baking chocolate
- 1⁄2 cup hot water
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup butter
- 2 cups sugar
- 4 eggs, separated
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1 cup flour
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
- Melt chocolate and hot water in small pan over low heat.
- Bring to a gentle boil while stirring constantly.
- Pour into small glass bowl and add baking soda.
- Mix well (mixture may foam).
- Let cool until just lukewarm.
- Cream butter and sugar.
- Add egg yolks one at a time, mixing well each time.
- Mix in vanilla and cooled chocolate mixture.
- Stir in sourdough starter.
- Mix salt and flour in separate bowl and then add to the batter.
- Mix well.
- Beat egg whites to stiff peaks then fold into batter.
- Pour in greased and floured pan (recommended size is 11 X16) and let sit for 30 minutes in warm draft-free place.
- Bake in preheated 350 oven for 35-40 minutes.
- Cool before cutting.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
RECIPE MADE WITH LOVE BY
JOIN THE CONVERSATION
These seemed more cake-like than fudge-like that I tend to expect from a 'rich' brownie. I think next time I will add nuts and an ooey gooey fudgey frosting. I used the 11 X 16 pan called for and was a little nervous that it would run over in the oven, but it turned out to be the perfect size. They cooked right up to the top edges of the pan and didn't run over a bit. Thank you for sharing this recipe Sara!Reply