Rich Lemon Butter Tarts
- Ready In:
- 7hrs 30mins
- 3⁄4 lb butter
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 3 cups flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 1⁄4 cups granulated sugar
- lemon zest
- 9 extra large eggs
- 1 1⁄2 cups lemon juice
- 3 ounces butter
- Cream 3/4 lb softened butter and 1 cup powdered sugar together.
- Sift 3 cups flour, 1/4 cup sugar and 1/2 teaspoon salt, then add to mix.
- Add 1/2 teaspoon vanilla, blend.
- Wrap dough in wax paper, chill 4-6 hours in refrigerator.
- Put in two 9" tart pans (1 1/2" high) an bake for 27-30 minutes at 325 degrees F. [time is adjusted for silicone pans].
- In a food processor or blender, combine the lemon zest (7 med. sized lemons worth) with 1/4 cup of the sugar and process until fine and moist, several minutes.
- In a medium-sized bowl, combine the eggs, the 3/4 cup sugar, and the zest mixture. Whisk briskly until well blended. Stir in freshly squeezed lemon juice. Place the bowl over a saucepan half-filled with slowly simmering water and stir until the mixture thickens enough to lightly coat the back of a wooden spoon, 6 to 8 minutes.
- Stir in the butter, a piece at a time, mixing until melted and smooth. Strain through a fine-mesh sieve. Immediately pour the lemon butter into the tart shells and set aside. The filling will set as it cools. Let cool completely before serving.
- Just before serving, lightly dust the edges of the tarts with powdered sugar.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!