Rice and Tofu Stuffed Peppers
I'm always looking for meatless recipes that my DH will like! This recipe works!! ***UPDATE*** I now make these with the addition of mushrooms!
- Ready In:
- 1 cup cooked brown rice
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 cup chopped mushroom (any variety but I used shitake and baby bellas)
- 1 (12 ounce) package extra firm tofu, cubed
- 1 3⁄4 cups marinara sauce, divided
- ground black pepper
- 2 red bell peppers, halved and seeded
- 2 orange bell peppers, halved and seeded
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese (can use soy cheese)
- 8 slices tomatoes
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Steam halve peppers for approx 15 minutes to soften (we prefer to have them just a little less soft).
- Drain and set aside to cool.
- Heat the olive oil in a skillet over medium heat, and stir in garlic, mushrooms and tofu.
- Saute 5 minutes.
- Mix in 1/4 cup marinara sauce, rice, salt and pepper, continue to cook 5 more minutes.
- Spread remaining marinara sauce in a 11X7 baking pan.
- Place an equal amount of rice mixture into each pepper half.
- Place 1 tomato slice on each pepper, and top peppers with mozzarella.
- Arrange stuffed peppers in a baking dish.
- Bake 25 minutes or until cheese in melted.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
JOIN THE CONVERSATION