Rice and Peas
This is a Jamaican dish I found in Extending the Table. The servings size is for a main dish serving, but this can also be a side dish for barbecued or jerk chicken. This recipe starts with soaking dried beans overnight, but that is not reflected in the times.
- Ready In:
- 1hr 25mins
- 1 cup dried pigeon peas or 1 cup kidney bean
- 4 cups water
- 3 cups coconut milk
- 2 tablespoons fresh thyme
- 2 green onions, finely chopped
- 1 hot chili pepper, seeded and chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon margarine
- 2 1⁄2 cups rice (long grain white)
- In a large saucepan, soak the beans in the water overnight.
- Using the same water, bring the beans to a boil, reduce heat, cover, and simmer until tender. Beans should remain whole.
- Add the rest of the ingredients, except the rice, and boil for 5 minutes uncovered.
- Add the rice. Stir, cover and simmer 15-20 minutes, until rice is cooked and liquid is absorbed.
- Serve with a green salad and fried plantains, or with barbecued chicken.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
RECIPE MADE WITH LOVE BY
Join The Conversation
Great rice and beans! I really enjoyed the creamy texture, due to the coconut milk!! I used Scotch bonnet for the pepper and fresh parsley for the garnish. This recipe takes a little bit of planning ahead, but it is worth it. I served it with fish but it will stand alone as my lunch tomorrow. I'm looking forward to the leftovers! ~Made for ZWT5 Epicurean Queens. Gorgon!~