Rice and Lentil Soup or Stew
photo by Outta Here
- Ready In:
- 1hr 55mins
- 1 -2 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cup diced celery
- 1 cup diced carrot
- 1 1⁄2 cups diced onions
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 tablespoon dried Italian spices
- 1 bay leaf
- 10 cups water
- 1 smoked meaty ham bone
- 1 (28 ounce) can crushed tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon chipotle chile in adobo, minced
- 3⁄4 cup rice
- 1 cup french green lentil
- In a large heavy pot heat oil.
- Add celery, carrots, onions, and garlic sauté till slightly browned, about 5 minutes.
- Mix in spices and bay leaf.
- Add water, scraping the brown goodness from the bottom of the pot.
- Add ham bone, tomatoes and chipotle; bring to a boil and then simmer for 1 hour.
- Add lentils; cook for 15 minutes and then add rice. Cook for 30 more minutes.
- You can thin if you like with liquid either chicken stock of water. Water would be just fine because there is plenty of flavor.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Divine. Made this stew in a crockpot by first sauteing the trilogy and adding it to the other indredients (water, spices, lentils, rice, and tomatoes,in that order). Set it on high and came home 6 hours later to a wonderful lunch. To adjust for the longer cooking time, I used short grain brown (rather than white) rice. Since I did not have a ham bone handy I used two ham boullion cubes. As for the stew itself,it was rich and filling. A bit spicy with a good smokey flavor from the chipotle. The French lentils were also nice in that they didn't break up as a regular green lentil might. Thanks Rita.
This stew has wonderful flavor. The only change I made was using 4 small smoked ham hocks instead of a meaty ham bone, because it's all I could get. The ham hocks didn't provide meat - just great smoked flavor, but we didn't miss the meat at all. The stew is very filling, has just the right amount of heat from the chipotle, and the smoky goodness from the smoked meat and the chipotle put it over the top. DH and DS both raved about it. Thanks for sharing a winner!