Ricardos Cranberry Scones
- Ready In:
- 2 1⁄2 cups unbleached all-purpose flour (625mls)
- 1⁄2 cup sugar (125 mls)
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup cold unsalted butter, cubes (125grams)
- 3⁄4 cup buttermilk (180mls)
- 1⁄2 cup dried cranberries
- 2 tablespoons buttermilk
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- Preheat oven to 400°F / 200°C . Oven rack in middle position.
- Line a cookie sheet with parchment or baking paper.
- Using a food processor- combine the flour, sugar, baking powder and salt. Add the butter and pulse until all of the butter pieces are pea sized. Add the buttermilk and pulse just long enough to moisten the flour.
- Transfer the scone mixture to a bowl and fold in the cranberries. Do not overmix.
- On a floured surface, flatten the dough with your hands or roll out to about 3/4 inch (2cm) thick. Using a 2 inch (5cm) cookie cutter, cut the dough into rounds.
- Arrange the scones on the baking sheet, leaving space between each one.
- Glaze- brush the scones with buttermilk and sprinkle with sugar.
- Bake until golden brown, 15 - 20 minuts. Let cool on a rack until ready to serve.
- You can freeze the scones.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
So light and delicious! We enjoyed these scones very much--so good with our morning coffee and we just love cranberries whether dried or fresh. I used low-fat buttermilk and I'm not sure if this had an effect on the dough, but it was very sticky and so I just baked the scones without cutting them and did so after they came out of the oven. So easy to make--we will definitely be having these scones again very soon! Made for Make My Recipe Reunion tag, December, 2012.
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
Aussie Mum - gluten-free