Rhubarb Raspberry Concentrate, for Canning
photo by tasb
- Ready In:
- 9 cups rhubarb, sliced inch
- 3 cups raspberries
- 4 cups water
- 1 1⁄2 cups granulated sugar
- In a large stainless steel saucepan, combine rhubarb, raspberries and water. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat, stirring constantly. Reduce heat, cover and boil gently until rhubarb is soft, about 10 minutes. Remove from heat.
- Transfer to a dampened jelly bag or a strainer lined with several layers of cheesecloth set over a deep bowl. Let drip, undisturbed, for at least 2 hours.
- Meanwhile, prepare canner, jars and lids.
- In a clean large stainless steel saucepan, combine rhubarb juice and sugar, Heat to 190F (88C) over medium-high heat, stirring to dissolve sugar, Do not boil. Remove from heat and skim off foam.
- Ladle hot concentrate into hot jars, leaving 1/4 inch head-space. Wipe rim. Center lid on jar. Screw band down until resistance is met, then increase to fingertip-tight.
- Place jars in canner, ensuring they are completely covered with water, but at least 1 inch. Bring to a boil and process for 10 minutes (adjusting for above sea level). remove canner lid. Wait 5 minutes, then remove jars, cool and store.
- Notes: To reconstitute, mix one part concentrate with one part water, tonic water or ginger ale; adjust concentrate to taste.
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
My passion is cooking, I have been baking and cooking since I was young. With 2 working parents it was essential. <br> <br>I am trained as a Professional Cook, even have a cooking certificate, lol. The best education I ever got was going to cooking school. <br> <br>I spent 3 years cooking in a gas station restaurant and all was well working there, but my heart still wanted to cook for kids. October 2008 I finally got the job I wanted. I been cooking for the kids for just over a year now and I love every day of it. The kids are great, some frustration, but it is all good, they are so smiley everyday, how could you not like work when you have a bunch of smiling faces looking at you. <br> <br>Another good thing about my job is I get the summers off. I had a pretty good summer, I got to tend to my garden and get a bunch of stuff into the freezers, I was given a second freezer this summer. I have been planning on eating mainly out of the freezers so we can save some extra cash for Christmas. <br> <br>I have plans on finding some nutrition courses that I can do online, just for dabbling in, it would sure help with cooking for the kids. <br> <br>I live with my hubby and 3 kids (11,6,5), and one cat, who is part in-door, out-door. <br> <br>I really want to get back into losing weight this school year, it has been 1 1/2 years since I lost about 15 pounds, I have maintained that loss though. I would still like to lose another 10 pounds.