Rho's Chicken & Sausage Gumbo
photo by Rhondapalooza
- Ready In:
- 3hrs 30mins
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1 lb sausage, any flavor
- 1⁄4 cup cooking oil
- 2 -3 tablespoons flour
- 2 large chicken bouillon cubes
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 bell peppers, chopped
- 1 lb frozen okra, sliced
- 1 (14 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 teaspoons jalapeno seasoning salt
- 2 tablespoons gumbo file
- 2 -3 teaspoons garlic salt
- 3 teaspoons creole seasoning
- water, to cover
- Lightly saute onion, celery, and peppers in a large stockpot using just a splash of oil and a small splash of water.
- As you are doing that, brown your chicken and sausage with 1/4 cup oil in a large skillet (it's okay to do brown the meats separately if all the meat wont fit into your skillet at one time)-- just save the greasy leavings when you finish as you will use it later to make your roux.
- Once meat is browned (I actually brown my chicken breasts whole and THEN cut them into bite-sized pieces as the chicken is harder to cut when it's raw; but with the sausage I go ahead and slice it up first before browning -- ) add meat to the stockpot with the sauteed veggies.
- Add the okra, tomatoes, tomato sauce, and all spices.
- Lastly, add the roux. (You make the roux by stirring 2-3 tablespoons of flour into the hot oil left over from browning your meats. Keep stirring as you add the flour and cook it into a golden paste. Only takes a couple of minutes to make).
- Let your gumbo cook on low for a good couple of hours. The longer it cooks, the more enhanced the flavor.
- ENJOY! :-).
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!