Reuben Mac N Cheese
Another one from Rachael Ray that I want to give a try.
- Ready In:
- 1 lb cavatappi pasta, hallow corkscrew shaped pasta or, other short cut
- 2 slices rye bread
- 3 tablespoons butter, plus
- some butter, for buttering toast
- fresh parsley leaves
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 cups milk
- 1⁄4 cup spicy brown mustard (recommended ( Gulden's)
- 1 cup shredded swiss cheese
- 1 cup shredded gruyere
- 1 cup shredded yellow cheddar cheese
- 3⁄4 lb good quality deli corned beef, sliced as thick as bacon, chopped
- 1 lb sauerkraut, rinsed and well drained
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil for the pasta. Salt water and cook pasta to al dente.
- While pasta cooks, toast rye bread in toaster then butter hot bread. Coarsely chop bread and place in food processor. Add parsley and paprika to bread and process into bread crumbs, reserve.
- Heat a sauce pot over medium heat. Add butter to pot and melt, whisk in flour 1 minute then milk. Season the sauce with salt and pepper, thicken sauce 5 to 6 minutes then stir in mustard. Melt 2/3 of the combined cheeses into the sauce.
- Preheat broiler.
- Drain pasta and return to hot pot. Toss hot pasta with chopped meat and sauerkraut to combine, stir in cheese sauce and coat. Transfer mac n cheese to casserole and top with bread crumbs and remaining cheese. Brown under broiler 3 to 4 minutes, serve.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
Join The Conversation
Well, after trying your delicious Recipe #342026 recipe we decided to make this the next day. I used penne pasta and made it all up in the morning to have for dinner. I heated it in a 350F. oven for 40 minutes and it was perfect. The rye got nice and toasty. We served it with Thousand Island dressing. I halved the recipe and we still got 6 servings. It makes a lot. Next time we would double the cheese sauce. :)