Reduced Fat Swedish Meatballs
photo by Maureen in MA
- Ready In:
- 1hr 5mins
24 1" meatballs
- 2 slices bread
- 1⁄2 cup 2% low-fat milk
- 1 1⁄2 lbs extra lean ground beef (93%)
- 1 egg, slightly beaten
- 1 small onion, minced
- 1⁄2 teaspoon sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon allspice
- 1⁄2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cardamom, seed
- Pam cooking spray
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 (10 1/2 ounce) can condensed beef consomme
- 1 (10 1/2 ounce) can water
- 1 cup light cream, at room temperature
- 1 teaspoon dill weed
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- In large bowl, combine beaten egg and milk. Add bread and allow to soak and absorb liquids. Add onion, sugar, alspice, nutmeg, salt, pepper, and cardamon seed.
- Mix well and shape into 1" balls.
- Place meatballs on a foil-covered baking sheet, sprayed with PAM,
- Bake at 400 degrees for 20 minutes, or until brown.
- In the meantime, prepare Sauce:.
- In large oven-proof pan, pour can of condensed beef consomme.
- Add water to consomme can and pour into a lidded jar, adding 3 Tbsp Cornstarch. Shake well to combine.
- Pour into pan that contains consomme and bring to a boil, stirring constantly.
- When consomme mixture has thickened, remove from heat and add light cream and dill. Mix well.
- Add cooked meatballs to sauce, and bake in 400 degree oven for 30 minutes.
- Serve with cooked noodles.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
Love easy, delicious recipes suitable for entertaining & my family.