Red Wine Braised Beef Short Ribs
photo by threeovens
- Ready In:
- 3hrs 15mins
- 4 lbs beef short ribs, bone in
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 small onions, sliced
- 2 carrots, coarse chop
- 2 celery ribs, chopped
- 2 inches fresh ginger, thin sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 stalk lemongrass
- 1 1⁄2 cups dry red wine
- 1 (14 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley, chopped
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste
- 3 cups beef stock
- 1 sprig fresh sage
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Season short ribs on all sides with salt and pepper.
- Heat olive oil in an oven safe 5 quart casserole or Dutch oven over high heat.
- Sear ribs on all sides until browned, about 5 minutes each side.
- Place ribs in a shallow baking dish.
- Reduce heat to medium low and add onions, carrots, celery, ginger and garlic.
- With the back of your knife, smash lemongrass then slice.
- Add to pot.
- Sauté vegetables until soft.
- Add wine and scrape bottom of pot to loosen any brown bits.
- Add tomato paste, diced tomatoes, brown sugar, parsley, stock, and fresh sage sprig.
- Return ribs to pot, cover, and place in oven.
- Cook 1 1/2 hours.
- Remove cover and cook an additional hour in the oven.
- Once the ribs are tender, remove to the baking dish and tent with aluminum foil to keep warm.
- Strain sauce and discard vegetables.
- Cook sauce another 5 minutes to darken and thicken slightly.
- Return ribs, heat and serve with polenta or side dish or your choice.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
<p><span> </span></p> <p>We may live without poetry, music and art;</p> <p> </p> <p>We may live without conscience and live without heart;</p> <p>We may live without friends; we may live without books,</p> <p>But civilized man cannot live without cooks.</p> <p> </p> <p>He may live without books -- what is knowledge but grieving?</p> <p>He may live without hope-- what is hope but deceiving?</p> <p>He may live without love -- what is passion but pining?</p> <p>But where is the man that can live without dining?</p> <p>-- Owen Meredith</p> <p> </p> <p> </p> <p>I'm an all-American original, having lived in Hawaii, New York, Texas, South Carolina, and Miami. I also served 7 years in the US Army. My husband is from Bogota, Colombia and has also lived in the former Soviet Union. But now we are both in NY.</p> <p> </p> <p>Tomasi enjoyes a bath!</p> <p><br /><a href=http://s845.photobucket.com/albums/ab15/luseaann/?action=view&current=tomas.jpg target=_blank><img src=http://i845.photobucket.com/albums/ab15/luseaann/tomas.jpg border=0 alt=Photobucket /></a> <br /> <br />Some of my recipes:</p> <p> <object width=480 height=360 data=http://w845.photobucket.com/pbwidget.swf?pbwurl=http://w845.photobucket.com/albums/ab15/luseaann/12cdcf0a.pbw type=application/x-shockwave-flash> <param name=data value=http://w845.photobucket.com/pbwidget.swf?pbwurl=http://w845.photobucket.com/albums/ab15/luseaann/12cdcf0a.pbw /> <param name=src value=http://w845.photobucket.com/pbwidget.swf?pbwurl=http://w845.photobucket.com/albums/ab15/luseaann/12cdcf0a.pbw /> <param name=wmode value=transparent /> </object> <a href=http://photobucket.com/slideshows target=_blank><img src=http://pic.photobucket.com/slideshows/btn.gif alt=/ /></a><a href=http://s845.photobucket.com/albums/ab15/luseaann/?action=view?t=12cdcf0a.pbw target=_blank><img src=http://pic.photobucket.com/slideshows/btn_viewallimages.gif alt=/ /></a> <br /> <br /> <br />I also have the genealogy bug! I've been tracing my roots for at least 10 years. One branch came to America just after the Mayflower in the early 1600s. Others came in the early 1700s, late 1890s. So, my American roots run pretty deep and I am deeply patriotic. Just wish someone had thought to same me some land!</p>