Red, White & Blue Breakfast Buns
- Ready In:
- 2hrs 25mins
- 1 (1/4 ounce) package dry active yeast
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1 1⁄4 cups warm milk
- 2 large egg yolks
- 1⁄4 cup unsalted butter, melted
- 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup blueberries
- 1 1⁄2 cups strawberries, hulled, diced
- 1⁄3 cup butter, melted
- 1⁄4 cup granulated sugar
- 1⁄4 cup store-bought vanilla frosting, for decoration
For the dough:
- Place the yeast, sugar and milk in the bowl of a stand mixer. Set aside for 5 minutes until slightly frothy.
- Add the egg yolks, melted butter, flour and salt. Fit the stand mixer with the dough hook and mix everything together on a medium speed for 6 minutes until soft, elastic and slightly sticky. Pour a bit of vegetable oil over the dough in the bowl, then turn the dough in the bowl to coat.
- Cover with a damp, clean kitchen towel and leave somewhere warm until doubled in volume (1-2 hours).
Shape the buns:
- Use some of the melted butter (from the filling ingredients) to brush the inside of a 9 x 13-inch rectangular pan.
- Tip the risen dough out onto a lightly floured work surface. Divide into 4 equal pieces.
- Roll two of the pieces out into 8 x 10 inch rectangles. Brush a quarter of the melted butter over each rectangle. Sprinkle on 1 tablespoon of the sugar. Lay 1/2 cup of the sliced strawberries over each of the rectangles. Starting at the long edge, roll up into logs. Cut each log into five 2-inch pieces. Have the buttered 9 x 13 inch pan with the long edge facing you. Place the cut pieces along the bottom long edge of the buttered 9 x 13 inch pan, in rows of 5.
- Roll another of the dough pieces out into an 8 x 12 inch rectangle. Brush a quarter of the melted butter over the rectangle. Sprinkle with 1 tablespoon of the sugar and lay on the remaining strawberries. Starting at the long edge, roll up into a log. Cut into six 2-inch pieces. Place in a 3 x 2 grid on the top right-hand side of the buttered pan.
- Roll the last dough piece out into an 8 x 8 inch square. Brush with the remaining butter and sprinkle 1 tablespoon of sugar over it. Scatter over the blueberries, roll up into a log and cut into four 2-inch pieces. Place in a 2 x 2 grid in the top left-hand side of the buttered pan.
- Cover the pan with a damp, clean kitchen towel and leave somewhere warm for 30 minutes to rise.
- Meanwhile, preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Once the buns have risen and the oven is preheated, remove the kitchen towel and bake the buns for 20-25 minutes until well risen and golden on top.
- Let cool completely before piping horizontal stripes along the rows to make the white stripes of the ‘flag’ and dots over the blueberry buns to represent the stars.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
Hungry for good food AND great conversation? Food.com boasts a smorgasbord of over 500,000 recipes and a community-inspired activity feed that allows our users to add reviews, tweaks, questions and photos to their favorite recipes. Grab a plate and join the fun!