Red Velvet Cookies With Cream Cheese Frosting
MAKE IT SHINE! ADD YOUR PHOTO
2009 Christmas with Southern Living
- Ready In:
- 1hr 15mins
- 2 3⁄4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1⁄3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1 1⁄4 cups sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 2 tablespoons red food coloring
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 3⁄4 cup buttermilk
- parchment paper
Cream Cheese Frosting
- 1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese, softened
- 1⁄2 cup butter, softened
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- salt, a dash
- 1 (1 lb) box powdered sugar
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Combine the first 5 ingredients in a mixing bowl.
- Beat butter at medium speed with an electric mixer 2 minutes, until creamy.
- Gradually add sugar, beating well.
- Add eggs, 1 at a time, beating until blended after each addition.
- Beat in food coloring and vanilla.
- Add flour mixture alternately with buttermilk, beginning and ending with flour mixture.
- Beat at low speed until blended after each addition, stopping to scrape the bowl as needed.
- Drop dough by 1/4 cupfuls 3 inches apart onto parchment paper-lined baking sheets.
- Spread dough to 3-inch rounds.
- Bake for 15 minutes, until tops are set; cool on baking sheets 5 minutes.
- Remove to wire racks, and cool completely.
- Crumble 1 cookie into fine crumbs to use as garnish.
- Make frosting--beat cream cheese, butter, vanilla, and salt at medium speed with an electric mixer 1 minute, until creamy.
- Gradually add powdered sugar, beating at low speed 2 minutes or until smooth.
- Spread about 2 1/2 tablespoons cream cheese frosting onto each cookie; sprinkle with crumbs.
- Store cookies in refrigerator up to 5 days.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
JOIN THE CONVERSATION