Red Velvet Cake (More Chocolate Than Other Recipes)
photo by diner524
- Ready In:
- 1⁄2 cup butter, softened
- 1 1⁄2 cups sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 2 ounces red food coloring (4 tablespoons)
- 2 1⁄2 cups sifted cake flour
- 1⁄3 cup cocoa powder (not Dutch process)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 tablespoon white vinegar
- Preheat oven to 350°F Grease and flour two 9 inch baking pans or three 8 inch baking pans.
- Cream butter and sugar in large bowl; add eggs and vanilla, beating well. Stir together buttermilk and food color. Mix flour, cocoa and salt. Add dry ingredients alternately to butter mixture with buttermilk mixture, mixing well between additions. In a separate small bowl mix baking soda and vinegar. Add to batter. Pour into prepared pan.
- Bake 30 to 35 minutes or until wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool completely in pan on wire rack. Frost preferably with cream cheese frosting or any frosting you like.
- Note: Using a Dutch process cocoa will yield a less red cake.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
We enjoyed this chocolate, red colored cake!!! I used a 9X13 inch pan rather than the two cake pans. The cake itself is very tasty but turned out on the dry side for us, maybe as the baking time had to be increased for this type of pan. We frosted it with a cream cheese frosting. Thanks Marie for a nice cake recipe. Made for Spring PAC 2008.