Red Velvet Beet Cake
- Ready In:
- 1hr 35mins
- nonstick cooking spray
- 2 ounces unsweetened chocolate, roughly chopped
- 1 3⁄4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 1⁄2 cups granulated sugar
- 3 large eggs
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- 1 1⁄2 cups pureed beets, from about 12 ounces cooked beets
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 (8 ounce) packages cream cheese, softened
- 1 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 5 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons vanilla
- kosher salt
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease a 13 x 9 inch baking pan with nonstick cooking spray.
- Place chocolate in a microwave-safe bowl. Transfer to microwave, and melt chocolate, stirring every 30 seconds, until melted, about 3 minutes. Set aside to cool.
- Whisk to combine flour, baking soda, and salt in a medium bowl. Set aside.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, combine sugar, eggs, and oil. Beat until well combined, about 2 minutes. Add beets, cooled melted chocolate, and vanilla. Beat until combined. Decrease speed to low and gradually add dry ingredients, scraping down the sides of the bowl as necessary.
- Pour into prepared pan and smooth top. Transfer to oven and bake until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean, about 25-28 minutes. Cool completely on a rack.
- Meanwhile, combine cream cheese and butter in the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment. Beat on medium speed until fluffy and well combined. At low speed, gradually add confectioners’ sugar, beating until entirely smooth and well-incorporated. Add vanilla and a pinch of salt. Beat to combine.
- With a spatula, top cake with frosting, swirling to create peaks and valleys. Cut into squares and serve.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!