Red Onion Chutney
MAKE IT SHINE! ADD YOUR PHOTO
A sweet chutney with a little bite. For a more adult flavour you can replace the cranberry juice for red wine This is a simple one pot recipe, try adding dried fruit such as raisins or apricot to your chutney.
- Ready In:
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 1⁄2 lbs red onions (sliced)
- 2 small apples, diced into 5ml cubes
- 5 g fresh ginger, peeled and finely chopped (I used about 5 gms)
- 1 garlic clove, crushed and finely chopped
- 150 ml cranberry juice
- 4 tablespoons light brown sugar
- Heat oil on a low heat in a large saucepan or saute pan, and add the garlic and ginger, fry for a few minutes but do not let the garlic burn.
- Add the rest of the ingredients stir well and bring to the boil.
- Lower the heat and simmer for approx 30-40 mins, until reduced to a sticky consistency.
- Transfer to a sterilised lidded jar and allow to cool.
- Use in salads and on sandwiches, this chutney tastes great on cheese salad sandwich with wholemeal or seeded bread.
- The quantities above wil make enough to fill a large lidded glass jar or seelable contailer.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
Join The Conversation