Red Lentil Soup With Vadouvan Spice Blend
Entered for safekeeping from Vegan Fat-Free Kitchen, this sounds so yummy: Indian lentil soup, with Vadouvan spice (a curry with roasted onion-shallot showing the French/Belgian influence in Pondicherry). Use Recipe #486208 or purchase online.
- Ready In:
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cumin seed
- 1⁄2 teaspoon mustard seeds
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 1⁄2 cups masoor dal or 1 small red lentil, picked over and rinsed
- 4 cups water
- 1⁄3 cup vadouvan mixed spice ($notetemplate1$)
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 (15 ounce) can diced tomatoes (fire-roasted is best)
- salt, to taste
- 3 -4 cups Baby Spinach
- Spray a large pot lightly with oil and heat it over high heat. When hot, add the cumin and mustard seed; cook for 1 minute or until seeds begin to pop.
- Add the onion and saute for 3 minutes.
- Add the lentils, water, Vadouvan, garlic, and coriander. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, and cook, covered, until lentils are completely soft, about 20 minutes.
- Add the tomatoes and salt to taste. Simmer, uncovered, adding more water if necessary, for about 20 minutes.
- Just prior to serving, stir in the spinach and cook just until wilted but still bright green.