Red Cabbage and Apples
This is a traditional Danish Christmas dish usually served with roast goose stuffed with prunes and apples or with a roast of pork with crackling
- Ready In:
- 1hr 10mins
- 1 medium red cabbage, shredded (about 1 1/2 lbs)
- 1 large granny smith apple, shredded (or any Tart apple)
- 1 medium russet potato, grated
- 1 cup apple cider
- 1⁄2 cup white wine vinegar (or cider vinegar)
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon caraway seed
- salt and pepper
- In a large saucepan, combine all the ingredients.
- Mix well.
- Bring mixture to a boil over medium high heat.
- Reduce heat to low, simmer, stirring occasionally, until the potatoe and cabbage are tender and cooked (about 40 minutes).
- Serve hot or cold.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
Join The Conversation
I made this to go with a steak and ale pie for Christmas Eve supper. It drew an enthusiastic response from my mother-in-law and the leftovers made it onto the Christmas Day menu (served with Roast Goose!). I stuck to the ingredients but cooked it in the oven slower and longer (Gas 2/150C for 1.5 hours). It also reheated well.