Red Beans and Rice With Andouille Sausage
MAKE IT SHINE! ADD YOUR PHOTO
In ‘Paula Deen’s Southern Cooking Bible’
- Ready In:
- 3hrs 15mins
- 3 tablespoons bacon fat, lard or 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 3⁄4 cups chopped andouille sausages (about 1/2 lb)
- 1 yellow onion, chopped
- 1 green bell pepper, chopped
- 2 celery ribs, chopped (with leaves)
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 lb dried red beans
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon hot sauce
- 3 bay leaves
- 6 cups cooked rice
- 1⁄4 cup sliced scallion
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- In a large pot or Dutch oven, heat the fat over med-high heat.
- Add the sausage and cook until golden, 5-7 minutes.
- Add the onion, bell pepper, celery, and garlic.
- Cook, stirring, until softened, 5-7 minutes.
- Stir in the cumin and thyme and cook for 1 minute.
- Add the beans, salt, hot sauce, bay leaves, and enough water to cover the beans by 2 inches.
- Bring the mixture to a boil.
- Immediately decrease heat to a simmer, cover, and cook for 1 ½ hours.
- Uncover and simmer until the beans are tender and the sauce has thickened, 30-45 minutes, adding more water if necessary.
- Remove and discard the bay leaves.
- Serve over rice, topped with scallions.
- Garnish with parsley.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
JOIN THE CONVERSATION