Red Beans and Rice
- Ready In:
- 2hrs 15mins
- 1 lb dried red kidney beans
- 8 cups water
- 1 onion
- 1 lb andouille sausage (or smoked sausage)
- 1 tablespoon cajun seasoning (more if you like)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic powder
- Rinse and clean beans good.
- Put into a large soup pot.
- Add water.
- Slice onion and sausage into beans.
- Add cajun seasoning and garlic powder.
- Bring to a boil and let boil 15 minutes.
- Reduce heat to low and simmer for 2-3 hours, until beans are tender.
- Salt to taste.
- Serve over hot cooked rice.
Join The Conversation
I am from New Orleans, I live about 6 minutes away from the French Quarter on the Westbank. This is a good recipe. I follow the recipe on the back of the dried kidney beans ( use camille brand) and I do it in a slow cooker and towards the end i take out about a cup of beans and mash them and add back to pot and it thickens them.Some times I add hot dog wennies to them also which is how my mom made them for us kids in place of sausage.(budget friendly version)LOL!
Insanely delicious!! Used low-fat smoked sausage (all I had on hand), and Miss Annie's Cajun Seasoning #28100. I had to add more water as it cooked - it was probably simmering a little high. This is one of those perfect meals that are inexpensive, simple to make, really filling, and super tasty! Thank you for posting!! Update: made this again and covered while simmering - didn't have the water problem (should have known! hehe) Thanks again! :)
Absolutely delicious!!! SOOO easy to make....I used the exact seasoning specified, and I couldn't be more happy! Although I only had 1/4 of the anduouille sausage that this called for, I added a couple of shakes of hot sauce to compensate. I also smashed some of the beans just because I like that "mashed" texture mixed with the whole beans. A definite keeper for me! And I will make this often. Thanks for posting this easy, yet very flavorful recipe! :)