Red Bean, Corn and Bell Pepper Salad
- Ready In:
- 2 cups dried red kidney beans
- 1 onion
- 2 whole cloves (optional)
- 1 bouquet garni
- salt & pepper
- 4 ears fresh corn (or 2 cups defrosted corn kernels)
- 1 red bell pepper
- 1 green bell pepper
- 1 yellow bell pepper
- 1 1⁄2 lbs tomatoes
- 6 corn tortillas
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
For the chili pepper Vinaigrette
- 1 bunch fresh cilantro
- 1⁄2 cup cider vinegar (the brown one)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 3 fresh green chili peppers
- 1⁄2 cup safflower oil (and a little for the tortillas)
- Put the dried beans in a large bowl. Add water to cover generously and leave them to soak, at least 8 hours.*See note.
- Drain the beans, rinse, then drain again.
- Peel the onion and stud it with the cloves. Place the beans in a casserole. Add the bouquet garni, onion and chili peppers, if using. Cover generously with water, bring to boil and boil for 10 minutes,cover and simmer until the beans are done, about 1-1 1/2 hours.Add salt halfway through cooking.
- Drain the beans, discarding the bouquet garni and the onion. Rinse the beans again under cold water, and drain again thoroughly.
For the chili pepper dressing:
- Strip the cilantro leaves from the stem.Chop the leaves finely. Whisk together the vinegar,cumin,salt and pepper.
- Cut the peppers lengthwise, discarding the seeds and ribs. Cut into thin strips, then across into diced. Add the diced peppers to the whisked dressing ingredients. Gradually whisk in the safflower oil, so that the vinaigrette emulsifies, and thickens slightly. Stir in the cilantro, reserving a little for garnish. Taste for seasonings.
Prepare the vegetables and toss the salad:
- Remove the husks and silks from corn.** Bring a large saucepan of water to a boil. Add the corn and cook 5-7 minutes.** Drain the corn,and when cool enough, remove the kernals.
- Core and seed the red, green and yellow peppers,making sure to remove the ribs inside. Then place the cut side up and dice. Core the tomatoes, core an "x" on the base of each. Immerse in boiling water until the skins start to split. Transfer to cold water. Peel and seed the tomatoes, then chop.
- In a large bowl, combine the kidney beans,.
- corn,tomatoes and peppers and peppers,corn kernels,tomatoes, bell peppers and chili-pepper.Gently toss the salad and taste for seasoning. Cover and chill in the refrigerator.
- Note*: An alternative to soaking the beans, put them in a saucepan, cover with water, bring to a boil, and then simmer for 30 minutes. Drain them, rinse and drain again.
- Note**If fresh corn is not available, substitute 2 cups of defrosted corn kernals. dd them to the salad without cooking. If using this method, skip to step 3.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
I would like to welcome you to my recipes. I have been with Food.com since 10/05. My beloved husband, Tom, passed away 3 years ago. My world stopped. It's taken me all this time to find my way back to life without him. I have been so blessed to have found my second, once in a lifetime. I've met an amazing man who is so good to me. We moved from Las Vegas, Nevada to Bullhead City, Az. in February, and we love it here. I have worked at Bally's and Paris hotel.casinos, in Las Vegas. I have seen some very famous entertainers, including Liza Minnelli, Penn and Teller, Ray Liotta, Dr. J (Julius Erving), Frank Sinatra and his wife Barbara Marx. and many, many more. Cooking is my passion, and I am slowly, but surely beginning to venture into the world of baking. To me, cooking is so much easier because baking is so much more exact. I love to make Italian and Mexican food the best, followed by Chinese and last, but by far the least, good old American food! How can you beat chicken fried steak, mashed potatoes and gravy?? I love to find several recipes and put my own spin on them and create a new recipe.