Rebecca's Favorite White Chili With Chicken
- Ready In:
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 small onions, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 jalapeno, minced
- 1 lb boneless skinless chicken thighs (4)
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 (4 ounce) can diced green chilies
- 2 (15 ounce) cans cannellini beans, rinsed & drained
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1 -2 tablespoon cornmeal
- salt & pepper
- 2 tablespoons heavy cream
- 1 cup chopped scallion
- 1 cup shredded monterey jack cheese or 1 cup cheddar cheese
- Heat oil. Saute onion, garlic, jalapeno & chicken until vegetables are soft. Add remaining ingredients & simmer uncovered 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Sprinkle on cornmeal to thicken. If it over thickens, add water or broth. Cook 5 minute Taste for seasoning. Stir in cream & serve. Garnish with scallions & cheese.
Join The Conversation
Made this for dinner last night...it is very simple to prepare and a bit different from the White Chicken Chili I usually make. However, my family noticed the difference and asked if I would add the missing spices next time. I did love what the cornstarch and cream did to the broth though, so I will try this recipe again with the addition of my missing spices. Made and reviewed for the Feb.-March 2010/Special Event Potluck Tag Game
This recipe is a gem and a definite keeper. We loved the flavors and consistency. The spice amounts are absolutely perfect. The chili is excellent with the cheese and green onions sprinkled on top, so don't omit that step! I ended up using 3 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, diced pretty small (we prefer to have small bits instead of larger chunks of chicken in our soups/chili). I added about 3/4 cup of water towards the end. Also, I opted to add another tablespoon of the heavy cream. There is about one bowl of chili leftover and I'm sure we'll all be fighting over it for lunch today! Thanks for this GREAT recipe. Yum!! ~Made for the Nov. Aussie/NZ Swap~
I'm rating this 4/5 stars just b/c it didn't pop. I halved the recipe and added a bit more of each spice, but still found it a little bland. I think once the flavour settles in overnight, it will be great tomorrow. Thanks for your recipe, it was a fabulous combo of ingredients, allowing me to use leftover things I didn't want to waste.