Really Easy Sugar Free Vanilla Extract, Double Strength
photo by Secret Agent
- Ready In:
- 720hrs 5mins
3 1/2 cups
- 20 vanilla beans (tahitian grade b vanilla beans)
- 1 fifth vodka, 80 proof, cheapest swill you can find
- Split beans and chop into 1" pieces.
- Mix beans and vodka together in a 1 quart canning jar with a canning lid and band and put into a dark cupboard for at least one month. Give it a shake when you think about it.
- When you are ready to use, strain it through fine muslin a few times to catch the beans and itty bitty seeds. Store tightly covered in a dark place.
- You can rinse off the chopped beans and dry on several layers of paper towels and add to a jar of sugar. Just sift the sugar before using.
- The longer it steeps the better it gets. Do not freeze or refrigerate as this will kill it. This will last until Armageddon. Make extra and stash away for gift giving.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
Hello Zaars and Zaarinas! Thank all of you who tried my 'memory' recipes and left such nice reviews and for taking such lovely pictures. I do appreciate your comments. My pet peeves about cooking are recipe reviews where the reviewer says, "I made the recipe exactly as written EXCEPT yada yada yada" and I don't like suggestive names or titles such as, "Better Than Sex". I don't know why anyone would eat anything that is 'sinful' or 'decadent' since decadent is described as being decaying. Also, PAP-RI-KA only has 3 syllables. VINAIGRETTE is pronounced vin-a-grette, not vinager-ette. It's mas-car-pone not mars-ca-pone. And I don't like cutesy adult baby talk,,, or metro chic names like delish, nutrish, yummo, sammy, BAM! Oh well, I make as many, or more, faux pas as the next guy especially in ASL! Things that crack me up are: DH Fred from youtube.com Nick, my nephew Fish and Poi song as performed by PoiBoi My possum recipe per the song on http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xVvL4-srt6U http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JpbyM8k7e2Q wow this is good! my Doggie Little Yellow Petey Bird on youtube My BFF's. all of them and there are so many! and my little Sister Mary Beth. She has MS and Lupus and a great attitude. <img src="http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b399/susied214/permanent%20collection/PAC08Main.jpg" border="0" alt="Photobucket"> <img src="http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b399/susied214/permanent%20collection/adoptedspring08.jpg">