Real Orange Chicken
An orange chicken recipe that's easy to make and better tasting than the carryouts.
- Ready In:
- 1 lb chicken breast (thin sliced by Purdue)
- 1 cup orange juice (no pulp)
- 3⁄4 cup brown sugar (light or dark)
- 1⁄4 cup soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon minced ginger
- 3 egg whites (or All Whites)
- 3⁄4 cup flour
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 2 teaspoons chicken seasoning salt (optional)
- 1⁄4 cup chopped green onion
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic clove
- 2 dried red peppers (for spice...optional)
- 2 tablespoons water
- vegetable oil (for deep frying)
- Heat vegetable oil in deep fryer to 350°F.
- Season both sides of chicken with salt, pepper and seasoning salt.
- Cut chicken breasts into 1 inch bite size pieces.
- In a mixing bowl or Ziploc bag, combine the flour, the remaining teaspoon salt and the granulated sugar.
- In another bowl whisk together the egg whites and water to create an egg wash (Note: If using All-Whites, you do not need to add water).
- Take handful of the chicken-bites and briefly dip and hand toss into the egg wash (coat well).
- Now toss the chicken around in the flour mixture until evenly coated.
- Deep fry for 6-7 minutes or until golden brown. Then set aside and drain excess grease.
- In a Wok, heat 2 tablespoons oil.
- While the chicken is frying, whisk together the orange juice, soy sauce, brown sugar, and ginger.
- Sauté or sweat the garlic and onions in the wok.
- Pour in the orange sauce. Heat orange sauce until boiling on high heat, then simmer on low heat.
- Add chicken to sauce.
- Let simmer for 10 minutes, occasionally turning over chicken for even coating. Chicken will soften and sauce will somewhat thicken as it simmers.
- Add dried red peppers during the last few minutes of simmering for spice.
- NOTE: For thicker sauce add more brown sugar. For more sauce, double sauce ingredients.
- Trick: For leftovers, refrigerate chicken separate from sauce so that the chicken doesn't get soggy.
- Serve over rice. Add stir-fry broccoli for traditional orange chicken meal. Enjoy!
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
JOIN THE CONVERSATION
I have made this 2 times and it is worth the effort. It was easier the second time only because I was intimidated by all the steps in the begining. Do not let this stop you! It is a weekly menu staple in my house. Thank you so much for posting. You are right, it is better tasting than the take out! I did decrease the amount of brown sugar only because I am a gastric by-pass patient and the sweet sometimes makes me not feel too well. I highly suggest if you like orange chicken you should give this a try!Reply