Real Chocolate Chocolate Cake With Ganache
- Ready In:
- 1hr 10mins
- 150 g dark chocolate chips
- 250 g butter
- 200 g caster sugar
- 5 eggs (separated)
- 100 g sifted cornflour
For the ganache
- 200 ml double cream
- 200 g dark chocolate chips
- 25 g butter
- Preheat the oven to 170 degrees/gas 3.
- Melt the chocolate in the microwave on low (or in a bain-marie).
- In a bowl, cream together the butter and 100g of the sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in the egg yolks, one by one, mixing well.
- In a separate bowl, whisk the egg whites until stiff. Add remaining sugar to them; whisk until thick and glossy.
- Pour the chocolate into the creamed butter mixture and mix well.
- Using a metal spoon, fold in the whisked whites and cornflour in two batches.
- Pour into a lined 20cm cake tin, and bake for approx 40 minutes until set and cooked through.
- Remove from oven and allow to cool in the tin for 15 minutes, then invert onto a serving plate.
For the ganache:
- In a pan, bring the cream to a boil. Place the chocolate into a heatproof bowl and pour in the cream, mixing well. Mix in the butter and spread ganache over the cake.
- Allow to cool before serving.
Join The Conversation
Yum, not a sweet cake at all, very adult flavored. Using corn flour was great and provided a wonderful flavor and texture. We were out of heavy cream, so we added some cornstarch to the ganach and it still turned out wonderful. We topped it with chopped dry roasted peanuts and served with whipped cream. Great, easy, and quite a unique recipe, thanks so much for sharing! :)
WONDERFUL CAKE, especially for a chocoholic ~ ABSOLUTELY GREAT! I was intrigued with using the corn flour & must say that the cake went together quite easily! I did take your hint & included some orange zest in the gnache (a very rounded tablespoon of it, 'cause I do like chocolate & orange together)! Thank you for a great cake recipe keeper! [Tagged, made & reviewed in Please Review My Recipe]