Real Canadian Butter Tarts
Melt in your mouth butter tarts, oh sooo good !! The method for baking is unusual, but will prevent the filling from boiling over.
- Ready In:
- 1 cup butter, melted
- 3 tablespoons vinegar
- 4 eggs, lightly beaten
- 4 cups brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1⁄4 cup currants
- Line tart tins with pastry. Sprinkle 6-8 currants into each tart shell.
- Let butter cool to room temp, then add the remaining ingredients. Stir until smooth.
- Spoon into unbaked tart shells, filling about 2/3 full.
- Bake at 200F for 15 min, then without taking the tarts out, turn the oven to 350°F Bake another 10-15 min, until they start to brown. This method will prevent them from boiling over.
- Note: I use Tenderflake lard and make the pastry using the instructions on the box, chilling the dough before rolling. Roll it a little thicker than for pie pastry, and use a little extra flour.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
Join The Conversation
I didn't use your particular ingredients, but I did use your baking method. I was a little sceptical at first, but went ahead anyway. *Beautiful* Every tart was perfect. No spill-overs, and that's a big plus in my book. Only problem......I now have to make double the mixture because I can finally fill the tarts to the top with that buttery goo. Gee.....how will I ever survive :) Thanks so much for sharing your method.