Raw Potato Pancakes
photo by Carol
- Ready In:
- 3 medium potatoes
- 2 eggs, separated
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 cup vegetable shortening, for frying
- Grate potatoes by hand, or process them in a food processor, and place in a large bowl.
- Add beaten egg yolks to grated potatoes.
- Stir in flour, salt, and baking powder, and mix well.
- Beat egg whites until stiff, and fold into potato mixture.
- On medium high heat, place enough shortening in a large skillet to have about 1/4" deep oil when melted.
- Drop batter by large spoonfuls into hot oil.
- Turn over when edges become a nice crispy brown, about 2 minutes.
- Cook another minute or two on the other side.
- Remove to a paper towel lined plate and sprinkle with salt, if desired.
- Add shortening as needed to keep the oil level deep enough to fry the pancakes, but not deep enough to cover them.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!