Rainforest Cafe Caribo Coconut Chicken With Honey Mustard Sauce
photo by llk2day
- Ready In:
- 1 1⁄2 lbs boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 2 cups flaked coconut
- 1 cup cornstarch
- 1⁄4 cup flour
- 2 eggs (beaten)
- 1⁄4 cup water
- vegetable oil (for deep frying)
- honey mustard dressing (your own or #11853)
- sauteed pineapple slice, for garnish (optional)
- Place breasts between pieces of wax paper and pound to 1/2 inch thick.
- Trim chicken breast so the pieces will measure 4" long and about 2 1/2" wide.
- Sprinkle sugar and salt over chicken breast and place in a zip lock bag and marinate in refrigerator for 4 hours.
- When chicken breast are ready to be prepared, rinse lightly and drain.
- Place coconut, corn starch, and flour in a bowl and mix well.
- In separate bowl place beaten eggs and add water, blend well.
- Preheat frying oil to 350F in a deep fryer or large skillet and have ready to fry chicken pieces.
- Dip chicken breast in egg wash and then place chicken breast in coconut mixture, coated well.
- Carefully place chicken in hot oil and cook until lightly golden (when frying the chicken, do not crowd and keep an eye on the oil so it does not burn).
- Remove and place on a paper towel to drain.
- For presentation and tasty side compliment, slice a ripe pineapple in 1/8" pieces and cut the round slices in half (canned pineapple rings may also be used).
- Lightly sauté the pineapple in a non stick sauce pan that has been sprayed with a non stick spray just until heated through.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Most others liked this recipe, so I will have to try one more time. After brining the chicken was very salty. So. . . I added more sugar - too sweet. I fried in the vegetable oil and did not like the taste (possibly didn't get to 350?) Dumped the oil out and retried with EVOO - better! All that being said, the party loved the chicken and I will attribute the elevation to the wonderful honey mustard sauce recommended. I will try once more.