Rachael Ray's Mac and Cheese Lorraine
MAKE IT SHINE! ADD YOUR PHOTO
This mac and cheese is for a more grown up palate, while still being gooey and cheesy enough for kids to love
- Ready In:
- 1 lb gemelli pasta or 1 lb other short cut pasta
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1⁄2 lb bacon, chopped
- 2 onions, quartered and thinly sliced
- 1⁄2 cup dry white wine
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 1 cup whole milk
- fresh ground black pepper
- 2 cups shredded gruyere
- 1 pinch freshly grated nutmeg, to taste
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- Heat water for pasta, salt water and cook pasta to al dente.
- While pasta water comes to boil, heat extra-virgin olive oil, 1 turn of the pan, in a deep skillet over medium-high heat. When oil is hot, add bacon and crisp, 5 to 6 minutes. Remove with a slotted spoon and drain on paper towels. Add onions and cook 10 minutes until soft and beginning to caramelize. Add wine and cook out, 1 minute.
- While onions cook, heat a sauce pot over medium heat. Add butter, melt and whisk in flour. Cook 1 minute then whisk in stock and milk and bring to a bubble. Thicken a few minutes then season with salt and pepper. Melt in cheese stirring it in a figure-8 motion with a wooden spoon. Add nutmeg and mustard and adjust salt and pepper.
- Drain pasta, toss with onions and stir in cheese sauce to coat. Top with crispy bacon and serve.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
JOIN THE CONVERSATION